Conservatory Undergraduate Requirements
Admission to Shenandoah Conservatory is highly competitive. Not only must students be academically admissible, they must also complete and pass the mandatory audition/portfolio review and interview process. Audition dates are limited and may fill and close well in advance of the audition date.
All audition confirmation materials will be sent to the applicant via e-mail.
Undergraduate Applicant Materials
- Complete the Undergraduate Application for Admission
- Submit official transcripts. High school transcript and/or college/university transcripts from each institution attended
- Submit official SAT or ACT test scores
- Audition registration
Applicants are encouraged to submit application materials and register for the audition/portfolio review concurrently. No audition will be scheduled without submission of the Shenandoah University Application for Admission and the audition will not be confirmed until all application materials have been received.
Shenandoah Conservatory accepts auditions in two different formats:
*Musical Theatre and ALL Vocal Applicants – See Special Requirements Below*
1. On-campus Audition
Live audition dates are hosted on the Shenandoah University campus. Audition season at Shenandoah University is always an exciting time! The Conservatory is bustling with enthusiasm and energy not only from our faculty and students, but also from the many visitors.
Your audition day will include:
• Meeting with faculty within your major area of interest to discuss curriculum specifics, performance opportunities, job availability and any other questions you may have.
• Admissions information covering topics such as the application process, GPA and SAT/ACT requirements, AP, IB and dual enrollment credits and more.
• Financial Aid information covering scholarships, grants and FAFSA information.
• Student guided tours of the entire campus.
Applicants will be emailed an audition confirmation once all of the application materials have been received. The confirmation will include arrival time and schedule for the day. Audition times are not assigned until the day of the audition.
Registrations for auditions must be received at least two weeks prior to the audition date. Again, the audition registration will not be confirmed until all admissions materials have been received.
2. Recorded Auditions
Applicants who live more than 250 miles from the Shenandoah University campus have the option to submit a recorded audition. It is strongly recommended that applicants verify the distance requirement with their admissions counselor prior to submitting a recorded audition.
• Applicants submit a video recording electronically through Decision Desk. This online service provides a simple method for uploading recordings via the Shenandoah Conservatory Digital Dropbox. Videos must be prepared following the Shenandoah Conservatory Audition Guidelines and may be produced with home recording equipment; studio-quality recording is not necessary. We will NOT accept any other type of recorded audition. Recorded auditions must be submitted through the Shenandoah Conservatory Digital Dropbox.
Applicants to the Musical Theatre program and all Vocalists (regardless of major) have a 2-step audition process.
Applicants must first submit a recorded video prescreening audition. The recorded prescreening must be submitted by January 15, 2014 through the Shenandoah Conservatory Digital Dropbox. No tapes, DVDs or YouTube videos will be accepted. Prescreening audition selections must follow the Shenandoah Conservatory Undergraduate Audition guidelines.
2. Live Audition:
Applicants who successfully pass the recorded prescreening audition will be invited to campus to complete a live audition with the Shenandoah Conservatory faculty at Shenandoah University in December 2013 or January or February 2014.
All applicants must follow the Audition Guidelines as they prepare for their audition.
Admission decisions are sent to students in early March for students who have applied for the fall semester. Review of applications and subsequent admission status notification continues until all programs are full.
Fall Semester/Spring Semester Applications
Shenandoah Conservatory accepts applications and admits students to all conservatory programs in the fall (August) semester. Shenandoah accepts applications for some programs for the spring (January) semester depending on availability. Applicants are encouraged to contact the Office of Admissions to determine if their program of interest has openings for the spring semester.
If you have questions about our admission or audition process, we invite you to call or e-mail us so we can help you navigate the process and prepare as best possible for your audition. You can contact the Office of Admissions at 540-665-4581 or e-mail Admit@su.edu.